Rice & Peas
Serves 6 people
- 3 tablespoons Kinloch Plantation Pecan Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups water or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen small, young peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the pecan oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots, and cook, stirring, until they are soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the rice, salt, pepper, and water or chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until almost all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Add the peas and cook until all the liquid is absorbed, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the parsley and fluff with a fork before serving. Serve this with grilled chicken breasts or pan-boiled pork chops.